What to Expect with Your New Hardwood Floor.
ARE YOU EASY GOING?
If the answer is no, maybe hardwood floors is not the right choice for you.
Pre Installation & expectations
- Flooring is construction, your house will shake as floors are removed and installed. We are not responsible for wall decor, loose closet brackets etc. that may dismantle during the installation process. This also applies to drywall in the ceilings below the installation- it may come loose if the drywall was not properly installed.
- Customers are responsible for moving all small items, breakables, antiques, valuables, etc. prior to the installers arrival. All electronics need to be unplugged prior to the start of installation.
- We are not responsible for asbestos removal. If you have any concerns, please mention it to your sales rep.
- No subfloor is completely even. For products which are installed directly on top of the subfloor, expect the floor to mimic the levelness of the existing subfloor. If you have significant concerns regarding your subfloor, please let your sales rep know and they can arrange to remove your carpet before the installation day so you may thoroughly inspect the subfloor and arrange for repair as needed.
- Sample boards serve as examples, but do not provide a complete overview of the markings, shades and colors present in a grade and species of wood. Each board in unique, and some variations may exist between the sample boards and your installed flooring. Rustic / hand scraped (Armstrong American Scrape Collection) hardwood is expected to have knots, rough boards and holes and is not a defect of the wood, rather expected characteristics.
- Doing touch up paint after the flooring job is complete is normal & expected due to the nature of the flooring project. We do not do any sort of painting.
- PriceCo Floors does not level subfloors
- Floating floors have give and may bounce as you walk on them, this is an expected outcome of this type of floor and should be considered prior to purchase.
- If there is a problem or questions during your installation please mention it to the installers or call your sales representative. If we don’t know, we can’t fix it Similarly, if there is a specific part of your subfloor that needs extra attention, please mention it to the installers upon their arrival
- Your flooring project is a construction project and will create dust. PriceCo Floors will make every effort to clean as much of the dust as possible.
- PriceCo Floors is not responsible for any plumbing, gas or electrical problems that arise during installation
- Covering nail holes and gaps with putty is the industry standard for installation.
- Installation does not work within the standard 9-5 business hours. In some instances, we may work until 8 pm in order to complete a flooring job. If this is something that you are concerned about, please mention it to your sales representative prior to your installation date.
- Shoe molding is only installed where there is baseboard. It is never installed on framing.
Post Installation/Maintenance of Hardwood
- Wood is a natural product and it is expected for there to be minimal gaps between the planks and seems post-installation.
- Keep your humidity level 30%-50% year round to avoid major gaps. In the northeast area we experience cold, dry winters and hot, humid summers. If you see gaps don’t worry, it will come back together. Wood is a live product that absorbs humidity and reacts to season just like your house. In the winter months use a humidifier to maintain this level and prevent cracking and gaping of hardwood. In the summer months keep your humidity levels within the recommended range.
- Scratching and squeaking in hardwood floors are normal characteristics in this type of flooring. Please expect this as it is not covered under any warranty.
- The industry standard for hardwood floor allows a manufacturer 5% imperfections, which could include not having a square edge, small gaps, cracks etc. This standard also applies to labor- 5% of error with labor is expected. Natural hardwood floor should not be expected to be 100% perfect.
- Prevention of cupping, cracking, bowing, gaping, expansion and contraction of the wood falls solely under the responsibility of the customer. Proper wood maintenance/moisture and humidity control is essential in avoiding these issues. None of these are covered under any installation or manufacture warranty. Please see the NWFA guidelines for further information.
- The eye-sight test (problems visible from a standing position) is what flooring professional use to evaluate problems with wood and/or installation. This means that problems with the wood that you need to be crouched down to see are, generally, expected outcomes of a natural product.
- Bevels between planks in the wood should not be mistaken for gaps.
- Do not wet-mop a wood floor. Standing water can dull the finish, damage the wood and leave a discoloring residue. Wipe up any spills immediately.
- Put stick-on felt protectors under the legs of furniture to prevent scuffing and scratching. When moving large furniture do not slide across wood flooring
- PriceCo Floors offers a one year installation warranty from the time the floors are installed. Please refer to your products manufacturer for a more detailed product warranty.